Thursday, February 25, 2010

New baby in the nest...

Well, not my nest.  My daughter's friend, Jennifer, just had a baby boy.  I think I'll send a card.  Hey, maybe I'll send this card! 

This is an adorable set from Close to My Heart.  My friend Jenn sells Close to My Heart.  The set is called Love you Forever.  It has a little saying in it that says, "I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, as long as I'm living my baby you'll be."  This of course is taken from the story Love you Forever by Robert Munsch.  Have you ever read this book?  Well, if you have, you know that it will reduce you to tears instantly. Every mother knows the danger of reading Robert Munsch out loud.  I will give you that warning now.  Never, and I mean never, try to read this book aloud.  You will confuse and scare your children.  Teach them to read and then bring this book into the house.  Then nobody gets hurt and nobody has to go to a psychologist when they are an adult because their mother crumbled into a sniveling mess when she tried to read out loud.

Funny story about this little saying "I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always" etc.  When my son, Adam, was in Grade 1 he made me a beautiful card for mother's day.  It had a delicate Renoir-like drawing (bwahahaha) on the front and on the inside there was a little poem.  It said, "Mommy - I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, as long as I'm living, your baby I''ll be".  Oh my word, my child was a brilliant poet, I thought.  I showed the card to my husband and sang Adam's praises as the new Keats.  A veritable Robert Browning if you will.  I basqued in the love of this card for weeks.  Weeks I tell you.  Then, one day, a friend came to visit me.  I call this day "Thanks for destroying my dreams day".  She was looking at the cards I had received for Mother's Day and came across the one Adam had made for me.  She read it and said, "Oh this is so sweet.  He used the poem from Robert Munsch's book I'll Love you Forever."  She smiled sweetly at me.  I had been beaming proudly standing at her side.  "Huh?" I said, my smiling drooping.  So, she explained that there was this book and it was really good, almost a classic in fact, and that I should get it and read it to the kids.  Well, in retrospect, I should have taken that as the first sign that she was an evil depraved woman.  I am in fact though, naive.  I read the card over and over again enjoying the poem still.  Then in a moment of clarity and in strong support of my brilliant child, I said "Oh my goodness, isn't that clever of him to plagiarize Robert Muncsh?"  That is my story and I'm sticking to it.


Accessories to the crime:
Stamps:  CTMH I'll Love you Forever, SU So Many Sayings (sentiment)
Paper: SU Taken with Teal, Chocolate chip, old olilve, PPaper unknown
Acc's: Copic markers, Martha Stewart eyelet edge punch, ribbon, stickles, sewing machine

2 comments:

  1. great card!

    um...jenn ~ i am going to need that stamp set!!!! OMG!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this card!! All of the colour!! Thanks for mentioning me (:
    Your posts crack me up!! I check back every once in awhile to see what story you have next (:

    Hugs!!

    Jenn (:

    ReplyDelete

Show me the love, but be nice, I am a delicate creature.